How To Find The Right Doctor?1,2

If you are experiencing symptoms of AMD or DME, you should visit a retina specialist, also known as a Retinologist. A Retina specialist is a medical doctor who has specialized in ophthalmology and sub-specialized in diagnosis and management of retinal disorders.

What To Ask Your Doctor When Diagnosed With DME Or AMD?


Disease Progression

  • How can I reduce my risk of worsening nAMD/DME?
  • How advanced is my nAMD/DME?
  • Is there anything I can do to slow down the progression of my nAMD/DME?
  • What other specialists do I need to consider?


Effect on Quality of Life

  • Will I lose my sight completely?
  • How will nAMD/DME affect my daily life? Will I still be able to read or watch television?
  • Will I have to stop driving?
  • How long will it be before my vision gets worse?


Treatment and lifestyle management

  • What are my options for treatment?
  • What are the potential side effects of my treatment?
  • Will treatment be painful?
  • Will treatment stop me from losing my vision?
  • How many treatments will I need? How long will I need to take the treatment for?
  • How quickly should I start my treatment?
  • Are there any vision enhancement devices (e.g., special glasses) available that might help me?